Saturday, June 20, 2015

Here's a little story...

1986: I sat in a house with nothing but natural-born Kentuckians. My family, as it be. The powerhouse Louisville Cardinals, led by Pervis Ellison and legendary coach Denny Crum, were taking on a little-known private school out of Durham, North Carolina name of Duke University.

Everyone rooted the Cards, with the exception of my mother, who was the only true sports fan in the house. You see, her father raised her to be a as Wildcat, for he loved the University of Kentucky. Her motto: Mom's 2 favorite teams were U.K. and whoever was playing against Louisville. That day, she was and I became a Duke fan. That summer, our family moved to Chapel Hill. I attended Coach K's Basketball Camp. And it's all history from there.
As a 12 year-old kid from Cincinnati, I didn't understand the intensity this rivalry. The biggest rivalry I knew was the Bengals/Steelers. That was absolutely nothing compared to Tobacco Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment